Totara Recipe: How to choose the best learning management system
Choosing a Learning Management System (LMS) in a market of over 600 can be a daunting task. So, where do you start? To help you choose the best LMS, we have prepared a recipe in collaboration with Webanywhere with everything you should keep in the mix.
- Goals, expectations and needs
- A list of ‘must-have’ features
- Request For Proposal (RFP)
- Demo/free trial
- A shortlist of LMSs
- Have a clear sense of what are you trying to achieve
- Ensure you get feedback from a good cross section of business stakeholders
- Consider the skills and feedback of your L&D team when building your RFP
- Compile a list of ‘must-have’ features you want your LMS to have
- Choose a system that is flexible, quick to deploy and user friendly. Try a system that offers a free trial or demo site to avoid making a costly error.
- Bear in mind the technical limitations of your audience. Are you learners tech savvy?
- Check that the new LMS offers the essential features and functions you really need. Does it have to be mobile friendly? Is it secure? Are gamification and social learning a ‘must’ for you? Is in-depth reporting available?
- Check your new system is future-proof. Is it scalable to grow with your organisation’s needs? Will it be easy to upgrade and maintain?
- Evaluate how the new LMS will be integrated with your current software.
- Review a variety of vendors and negotiate your preferred terms of contract. Ask them about their experience, skill sets and qualifications. Look at online reviews to give you a better idea of how they dealt with customers in the past.
Serve and enjoy!
- There will be times when you are going to need 24/7 support from your LMS vendor. Will the vendor be able to guide you through the setup and training process? Can you call them when you face a technical problem?
- The best LMS will allow you to create an ideal e-learning experience for your audience.
Check out our latest recipes using #totararecipe.