Grupo Planeta is a Spanish multimedia group with 9,000 employees, that brings together companies in six different business areas (publishing, collectibles, training, direct sales, audiovisual and media) in 25 countries in the Spanish and French-speaking world.
The direct sales division had an e-learning platform solution created on an ad hoc basis by Grupo Planeta itself. The platform soon became too small when they began to need more advanced audiences functionalities to manage training activities, which their existing platform didn't allow.
On the other hand, Grupo Planeta has an internal matrix structure that they needed to be able to integrate into the platform so that the managers of the different areas could closely monitor their team members' training.
In order to reach the new level in corporate training that the group demanded, Totara has provided a solution in multiple areas:
- A multi-brand platform with five environments, allowing Grupo Planeta to customize the environment according to each of the editorial group's sales channels.
- Thanks to the functionality of hierarchies, Totara has allowed them to integrate their organizational structure on the platform, being able to segment training based on specific positions and different sales channels.
- Managers can consult the training of their team members, communicate with them directly from the LMS platform and receive notifications with their performance in the different courses.
- Communicate sales data from staff members to assign specific training activities based on their results, reinforcing training to specific audiences to improve their performance and conversions.
- The seminar management module allows them to manage and administer face-to-face training, which is the most important basis for their blended learning. On the other hand, the L&D team is extensively using Articulate Storyline as an authoring tool to create more visual content with much more interactivity.
Since April 2019, 1,700 students have accessed the platform, 9,470 enrollments have been completed and more than 35,000 hours of training have been completed.
On their previous platform, the maximum percentage of completion of a course was 62%, whereas with Totara Learn they have obtained an average of 82%, having in many cases achieved figures of 94% of completion.
It has helped that students now have personalized training itineraries and new content formats that are much more interactive, creative and audiovisual.
The training team believes that the success of their blended training plan is due to the flexibility of Totara Learn. Since its launch, the requirements have changed and the platform has always been able to adapt.
The support and training service offered by Actua Solutions has been crucial so that Grupo Planeta's internal team is constantly testing new features and methodologies and achieving greater results.
Grupo Planeta's objective for this year is to add more content and gamification strategies, and to provide more training in microlearning and mobile learning.
“With Totara Learn, a new world opens up for us, and we currently only use 30% of the platform. If you want to take advantage of it, it offers you many possibilities. Actua Solutions constantly motivate us to experiment with content and ideas and now we feel very confident to try innovative activities and courses.”