University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (UCLH) is one of the largest NHS trusts in the UK, providing first-class acute and specialist services.
The state-of-the-art University College Hospital is the focal point alongside five cutting-edge specialist hospitals. UCLH is committed to research and development and forms part of UCL Partners. UCLH works closely with UCL, translating research into treatments for patients.
UCLH required more flexible access to learning as their existing system only allowed staff to access it internally when on hospital premises. This prevented new junior staff from accessing induction training when required.
Totara Learning is dedicated to fundamentally changing the nature of the LMS software market. As it's an open source platform, improvements to the LMS are continually being developed. Using Totara can reduce a corporate enterprise’s learning management costs significantly whilst providing some of the most advanced learning management functionality on the market.
Webanywhere created a bespoke LMS (Totara Learn) that was developed to provide training for new junior doctors and nurses. This enables them to complete training online when required. Configuration of audience management and hierarchy setup was also provided, creating a platform that was ready to use by staff.
Furthermore as the LMS is cloud hosted it can be accessed anywhere and provide collaboration between employees. Content can also be uploaded quickly and easily.
To ensure the system was up and running from the start, Webanywhere provided a day of onsite training. Since then Webanywhere have continued support with phone calls and online sessions, to aid UCLH during their setup.
This system was simple to implement and supports us as an organisation. We now have a greater level of assurance about compliance. The simplicity for our staff supports our onboarding process as well as linking to core Trust values, engaging with new staff as they join us. This system allows us to spend less time on mandatory inductions and more time on things like core Trust values. - Claire London, Head of Workforce Development at UCLH
- Staff can start training in advance of their induction - allows quicker time to compliance
- Accessible anytime, anywhere, encouraging staff engagement
- Easy to use, with course selections personalized to each user
- Open source software gives UCLH control of the future of the platform, lots of opportunity for further development
- Launched to thousands of users on day 1
- Plans to expand the system to other areas of healthcare
- UCLH awarded a prize for most improved compliance figures
Webanywhere have worked with us to implement a bespoke development,exactly tailored to our needs. This lets our users see for themselves which courses they need to complete, as well as any repeat training that might be about to expire. Our users are in control of their own learning and this frees up our time to concentrate on making the training we deliver, the best that it can be. - Gill McAllister, Head of Education Technology at UCLH
- Cloud based hosting providing secure and reliable resources, whilst being highly scalable, environmentally friendly, and creating increased collaboration
- The learning management system was easy to deliver and easy to implement
- Provides a personalised learning experience, which creates a more engaging and relevant platform for each individual learner
- Able to see which learners have completed their training, ensuring compliance
- Staff can complete training anywhere, anytime, including in advance of starting their employment at UCLH
- Greatly reduced time to competence, providing valuable time/efficiency savings.