Totara is large global learning software business, started and still based right here in Wellington, New Zealand. We’ve been going strong for over a decade, and while not a household name in Aotearoa, we’re pretty big in the rest of the world.
We’re known for our high quality, powerful and flexible learning management and talent development software, also known as the ‘Talent Experience Platform’. Totara’s products are used by over 1,800 organisations around the world like the US Department of Agriculture (USDA), Pepsi, Red Hat, and Yamaha.
It’s an exciting time to be in this space as the whole world experiences a shift in workplace dynamics following the impact of COVID-19. We’re constantly evolving and adding new products to help develop, engage and empower workforces to adapt and thrive through continual change.
We are looking for a Senior Backend Developer, or an aspirational Intermediate Developer with a deep understanding of enterprise-quality web application development to join our Wellington-based Research & Development team.
Our open source Talent Experience Platform is deployed by our global partner network in corporations, government agencies, and organisations around the world. It runs in a wide range of environments, browsers, and devices, and is integrated with a large number of other systems. Our partners extend and customise our platform and products to meet the needs of their customers.
Our products need to be powerful and configurable for admins, but also simple and fun for non-technical users. They must perform well at scale, and be localised and accessible by default. We use and support the software that we produce, and take a lot of pride in the quality and robustness of the solutions we ship, and we have well-defined processes for testing and maintaining that level of quality and consistency across our teams.
You'll join an established cross-disciplinary team in an agile environment following an outcome driven development methodology to identify and deliver value to our partners, subscribers and vendors. You'll be involved in all aspects of the solutioning and delivery and your past experiences and knowledge will be put to good use in helping us ensure we're taking the best possible approach and are continuing to deliver enterprise quality solutions.
The code that you write will be well architected, high quality, documented, and well covered with tests. Your team will support you, and you'll support them.
Where there are opportunities to align work to your interests we'll jump to make that happen. If upskilling is required we'll support you on that journey.
What we offer
Totara is what it is because of our people. Our goal is to provide the spaces and support for our people to do their best work, be recognised and rewarded fairly, and be celebrated as part of our team. Joining our team means joining the pursuit to create effective and engaging learning workplaces for all. We’re growing and are looking for people who are excited about making an impact on the global stage and are passionate about working in the software product industry.
- You appreciate and value good communication and collaboration. Our platform and products are too complex for any one person to truly know. We strive to build high performing teams who can solve challenges together
- You will have experience developing high quality web applications for large scale deployment.
- You will be highly skilled in PHP, or be highly skilled in a similar language and willing to upskill. We've converted our fair share of Java, Ruby, Python and C# developers.
- You won’t be afraid to touch front end code and have a good understanding of the whole user flow.
- You understand the best solution can take many shapes and forms. You can recognise and apply a variety of software development methodologies, principles and patterns.
- You will have a very strong understanding of what good quality code looks like, and how to write testable code.
- You engage and self motivate when presented with a challenge, but also enjoy discussing problems and solutions with your colleagues.
- You are a highly effective problem-solver and skilled at working effectively with cross-functional teams in a matrix organisation
- You are skilled at mentoring others and sharing your knowledge
Looking for a new challenge? We'd love to hear from you!
Please note: At present due to the immigration challenges we are only accepting candidates already living within NZ.
Our head office is in Wellington CBD, and we are looking to establish satellite offices in Palmerston North and Christchurch. This role can be positioned in any of these centres.
If Totara sounds like your kind of place, send us your CV and cover letter highlighting your relevant experience.