Location: Wellington Central, NZ
Work Type: Full Time
Totara Learning’s R&D team operates in an Agile environment where productivity, and quality are key.
We develop enterprise open source software; used by some of the biggest companies around the world and we're changing how learning technologies are developed, delivered, and purchased.
We support the software that we produce, and have come to be trusted by over a hundred partner organisations, delivering solutions to thousands of businesses and organisations worldwide, servicing millions of end users.
We are looking for a very talented individual to take on a front end developer lead role.
You will lead a team of front-end developers, also working closely both with cross-disciplinary R&D teams including business analysts, product managers, UX designers, back-end developers, testers, and support staff.
You have a key, leadership role working on our enterprise products and associated technologies. Totara software is deployed for businesses and organisations around the world by our global partner network, who run it on a variety of platforms and access it using multiple devices, browsers, and mobile devices, and who operate on a scale from a few hundred users through to hundreds of thousands of users.
The front-end code that you and your team produce is expected to be top quality. It will meet the best practices that you help define and champion. The front-end team's code is expected to perform brilliantly, meet accessibility standards, be extendable, customisable, pluggable, and testable.
You will be
- Driving the best possible solutions in an Open Source environment that demands re-use, extensibility and configurability.
- A champion for quality.
- Leading from the frontlines: development, review and testing.
- Helping us define best practices that will keep the user interface moving forward.
- Mentoring your team, and helping them to grow as front-end developers.
- Helping us to define, implement and migrate to our own front-end framework.
- Representing front-end in solution design, and technical discussions.
- Aiding us in growing the front-end team.
Our ideal candidate is looking for a challenge, and will possess many of the following:
- Have been a professional Software Developer for 5+ years.
- Knowledge of front-end framework architecture; what works, and what doesn't.
- An understanding of how popular frameworks work under the hood, rather than just being able to use them.
- Experience in creating front-end frameworks consisting of optimised, reusable components.
- A good understanding of web accessibility, particularly Section 508, and WCAG 2.0.
- A good understanding of common web security issues, types of vulnerabilities and how to secure their code.
- Experience with responsive design and the best practices around it.
- A drive to produce quality testable code.
A basic level of PHP, Java, or similar server-side language.
Working with BEM, particularly in a pluggable architecture.
- Leading a team, and/or mentoring other front-end developers.
- Experience in writing software that supports multiple time-zones and localisations.
- Experience with Totara, Moodle, Silverstripe or Drupal or contributions to other open source projects would be an advantage.
In addition to these skills there are standard things we look for in all developers, irrespective of their technical skills.
- Pride and ownership in their work.
- An ability to bring new ideas to the table.
- The drive to learn and further their knowledge.
- The passion to make a difference.
- Confidence in their understanding.
- The wisdom to ask for help when needed.
- A sense of fun. Our team enjoys being part of a fast growing global company that does things differently.
- Competitive salaries.
- A fun, professional, creative, success-driven working atmosphere.
- Challenging and interesting work.
- A strong, supportive, engaged, and highly talented team who you will be able to rely upon, and who will come to rely upon you.
- Freedom to be creative and innovate.
- An opportunity to enjoy an OE at one of our subsidiary companies based in the United Kingdom.
If Totara sounds like your kind of place, send us your CV.
Please include in your application:
- A CV that mentions all relevant experience, and any academic results.
- Links to publicly available code or projects you have worked on (Github, Bitbucket, etc.).
- Any other examples you can provide of relevant work.
- An indication whether you are willing to relocate to Wellington if you're not already living here.
No agencies please.