Totara's talent development software empowers people to do their best work. The Totara Talent Experience Platform gives organisations worldwide the power to build unique employee experiences that better develop their people in the way that’s just right for them. Our platform brings together our flagship learning management system (LMS) for formal learning, a user-centric learning experience platform (LXP) for learning in the flow of work and a continuous performance management system to keep teams developing their skills in an ever-evolving world of work. Totara is used by thousands of organisations, big and small, across all regions and sectors. These include the UK's NHS, the US Department of Agriculture, PepsiCo, Red Hat and Yamaha.
Our company ethos is open. We enjoy building honest, collaborative and service focused relationships with our partners and customers. It’s the open secret to our success. And with this success, Totara has been growing rapidly across Europe and the US. We use a flat hierarchy and cross-functional structure to deliver world class enterprise level software that helps organisations and governments around the world to unlock the full potential of their employees.
What's in it for you?
- You’ll be working with a diverse, supportive, engaged, and highly talented team who you will be able to rely upon, and who will come to rely upon you.
- Delve into new areas, grow your skills and accelerate your career by doing meaningful work and sharing your knowledge.
- Work in a flexible hybrid environment from either Wellington, Christchurch or Palmerston-North in a fun, professional, creative, and success-driven atmosphere.
- Get the support and flexibility in a company that gives you the opportunity to carve out your own dream role.
Who we’re looking for
Our ideal candidate is looking for a challenge and growth, and will possess many of the following:
- Significant programming experience in PHP or in a similar language, e.g. Java, Ruby, Python or C#.
- Extensive knowledge in one or more SQL databases, preferably MariaDB/MySQL or PostgreSQL, the ability to design high quality database structures and no trouble writing complex SQL queries.
- A very strong understanding of what good quality code looks like, and how to write testable code.
- Experience writing unit, integration and acceptance tests
- An excellent understanding of common web security issues, types of vulnerabilities and how to secure your code.
- Excellent understanding of Git and common Git workflows, continuous integration, issue trackers and pull request workflows.
- Troubleshooting experience and knowing how to deal with various types of issues, including performance and security.
- Appreciation and drive for good communication and collaboration. We strive to build high performing teams who can solve challenges together.
- An understanding that the best solution can take many shapes and forms. You can recognise and apply a variety of software development methodologies, principles and patterns.
- Engagement and self-motivation when presented with a challenge, but also enjoying discussing problems and solutions with your colleagues.
- Experience mentoring others and sharing your knowledge.
It's a bonus if you possess experience in any of the following:
- Frameworks such as Symfony, Silverstripe or Laravel
- GraphQL APIs
- TypeScript, Vue.js, Angular or React
- Experience with Totara or Moodle
- Managing CI/CD pipelines
- Docker containers
- AWS/Azure cloud technologies
- Contributions to other open source projects
Who we are and what we do
- We’re a global software product company with a startup feel that started over a decade ago, with offices in the US, UK and here in New Zealand.
- We develop an open source Talent Experience Platform with several products built on top, deployed by our global partner network across all manner of organisations, institutes and companies. It runs in a range of environments, browsers, and devices, and is integrated with a large number of other systems.
- We value collaboration, openness and innovation, taking our name from a native tree, revered for its flexibility, strength and durability - useful things in today’s world.
- Given our product focus is learning, it's no surprise we are big on yours, we are all collaborators and problem solvers existing to make the world a smarter place.
Totara is what it is because of our people, we provide the spaces and support for our people, so every day is a chance for you to take the lead on global projects for big name customers, to do your best ever work, be recognised and celebrated as part of our team. The only limits are your own excitement for making an impact and commitment to what you do.
If this sounds like you…We’d love for you to join us!
This role can be positioned in Wellington, Palmerston North or Christchurch.
If Totara sounds like your kind of place, send us your CV and cover letter highlighting your relevant experience.