Totara's talent development software empowers people to do their best work. The Totara Talent Experience Platform gives organisations worldwide the power to build unique employee experiences that better develop their people in the way that’s just right for them. Our platform brings together our flagship learning management system (LMS) for formal learning, a user-centric learning experience platform (LXP) for learning in the flow of work and a continuous performance management system to keep teams developing their skills in an ever-evolving world of work. Totara is used by thousands of organisations, big and small, across all regions and sectors. These include the UK's NHS, the US Department of Agriculture, PepsiCo, Red Hat and Yamaha.
Our company ethos is open. We enjoy building honest, collaborative and service focused relationships with our partners and customers. It’s the open secret to our success. And with this success, Totara has been growing rapidly across Europe and the US. We use a flat hierarchy and cross-functional structure to deliver world class enterprise level software that helps organisations and governments around the world to unlock the full potential of their employees.
What's in it for you?
- You’ll be working with a diverse, supportive, engaged, and highly talented team who you will be able to rely upon, and who will come to rely upon you.
- Delve into new areas, grow your skills and accelerate your career by doing meaningful work and sharing your knowledge.
- Work in a flexible hybrid environment from either Wellington, Christchurch or Palmerston-North in a fun, professional, creative, and success-driven atmosphere.
- Get the support and flexibility in a company that gives you the opportunity to carve out your own dream role.
What we’re looking for
Our ideal candidate is looking for a challenge and growth, and will possess many of the following:
- Detailed experience with front-end framework libraries such as Vue.js, Svelte, Angular, or React
- An excellent understanding of front-end framework architectures, utilities, best practices and design patterns; what works, and what doesn't.
- Detailed experience creating well-abstracted, reusable components suitable for composure.
- Experience implementing Vue.js solutions.
- A good understanding of web accessibility, particularly the WCAG 2.1 standard, and assistive technologies.
- A strong understanding of common web security issues, types of vulnerabilities and how to secure your code.
- Good knowledge of how to write performant front-end solutions and how to test them.
- Detailed experience with responsive and adaptive design and best practice.
- Good knowledge of commonly used reliable open source libraries and utilities, and when to use them.
- Strong understanding of source control systems (ideally GIT), continuous integration, issue trackers, wikis, and pull request workflows.
- A drive to produce high quality, readable, maintainable, and testable code that operates in supported browsers.
- Experience mentoring others and sharing your knowledge
It's a bonus if you possess experience in any of the following:
- Older front-end libraries, specifically jQuery, Bootstrap and YUI.
- BEM CSS methodology.
- Pluggable architectures.
- Node.js for build tooling and task running.
- PHP, Java, or similar server-side language.
- Totara, Moodle, Silverstripe or Drupal platforms.
- State machines.
- Knowledge of SVG.
- Language localisation concepts, including right-to-left language support.
- Familiarity with software testing – unit tests, integration tests.
- Working with Product Acceptance Criteria
- Experience working with design systems and/or pattern libraries.
- UI / UX design principles and best practice.
- Contributions to other open source projects.
Who we are and what we do
- We’re a global software product company with a startup feel that started over a decade ago, with offices in the US, UK and here in New Zealand.
- We develop an open source Talent Experience Platform with several products built on top, deployed by our global partner network across all manner of organisations, institutes and companies. It runs in a range of environments, browsers, and devices, and is integrated with a large number of other systems.
- We value collaboration, openness and innovation, taking our name from a native tree, revered for its flexibility, strength and durability - useful things in today’s world.
- Given our product focus is learning, it's no surprise we are big on yours, we are all collaborators and problem solvers existing to make the world a smarter place.
Totara is what it is because of our people, we provide the spaces and support for our people, so every day is a chance for you to take the lead on global projects for big name customers, to do your best ever work, be recognised and celebrated as part of our team. The only limits are your own excitement for making an impact and commitment to what you do.
If this sounds like you…We’d love for you to join us!
If Totara sounds like your kind of place, send us your CV and cover letter highlighting your relevant experience.